So its the start of the work week which means the start of this week’s adventures. Today my main focus was The Japanese Garden in Encino, CA. On the way home, I decided to stop at The Cascades in Sylmar to check one more California Historical monument off my list but more on that later.
From the front, the place is pretty unassuming. You would never expect what I found behind those gates.
I was taken aback upon my first steps in. The garden sits on 6 acres in between walls between Woodley Park and the DWP water reclamation plant.
You may be wondering about all of this greenery in California while we are going through a significant drought but here’s the back story of the garden.
Suiho-en “Garden of Water and Fragrance” (the garden’s Japanese name), was designed by Dr. Koichi Kawana. Dr. Kawana who is from Hokkaido has designed dozens of gardens across the country including the gardens at LACMA, Balboa Park in San Diego as well as the largest Japanese garden in the United States which is located in St. Louis.
Now what about all of that water to nourish these 6 acres of greenery? Well, it all comes from reclaimed wastewater that is processed just next door at DWP’s D.C. Tillman Water Reclamation Plant. Now that’s what I call recycling! They say that about 60% of the wastewater comes from residents while the remaining 40% comes from industrial and commercial sources.
If you are anywhere near Van Nuys and need a place to go to clear your head, a unique date spot or a great place to take photos I would say definitely visit The Japanese Garden which is located at 6100 Woodley Ave., Van Nuys, CA 91406. Admission is $5 for adults and $2 for seniors (62+) and children under 10. They are open Monday through Thursday 11am-4pm and Sundays from 10am-4pm. You can visit their website at http://www.thejapanesegarden.com.
Now a quick bit on The Cascades. I didn’t stay too long because there were tons of No Trespassing signs and I didn’t want anyone to call the cops on me. This is California Historical Landmark #653.
The Cascades is the Terminus of the Los Angeles Aqueduct. The water you see when you are headed to Magic Mountain has traveled 338 miles from Sierra Nevada to Los Angeles. The aqueduct was completed in 1913. No historical marker here because someone stole it! So now you know.. and now I know. And that makes 12 landmarks visited and 488 to go!